01 873 2134 
Man alleges workplace was unsafe and he had inadequate training in chemicals 
A security man who claims he was exposed to ammonia fumes at a meat processing plant has sued in the High Court. 
Father-of-three Brian White, who has not worked since the alleged exposure seven years ago, told the court on Tuesday how he became “overwhelmed and dizzy” as he took readings in the Kepak factory compressor room. 
The plaintiff’s claims are denied by the defendants. Kepak has also claimed there was alleged contributory negligence on the part of Mr White because he had returned to the room after reporting the incident. 
Mr White told the court he had staggered out of the compressor room and gasped for air. 
“My eyes were burning. I had a sore throat and a savage pain in the head,” he told Mr Justice Paul Coffey. 
Mr White said he went to get a maintenance man and had to stop his car to throw up but at one stage when he was vomiting he fell over and hurt his wrist. He said he continued with his work but he “was getting worse and worse”. 
He told the High Court he had no knowledge of ammonia and he said he had not received instructions on the chemical. 
Noxious chemicals 
Opening the case, Mr White’s counsel, John O’Mahony SC, said his client suffered severe injuries and is still out of work. Counsel said his side alleges the training offered for very noxious chemicals was “grossly inadequate”. 
Experts for the plaintiff will say the leakage was probably caused by a design fault where the ammonia expelled from the room got back in but this has subsequently been changed, said counsel. 
Dr O’Mahony said an investigation into the 2015 incident reported the gas detection system in the room was “faulty and old and was not fit for purpose”. 
Mr White (51), Pollardstown, Mitchelstown, Co Cork, has sued the meat processing plant Kepak Cork, with registered offices in Clonee, Co Meath, which runs the processing plant at Watergrasshill, Co Cork, along with his employer Las Security Ltd, which has offices at Damastown Industrial Park, Mulhuddart, Co Dublin. 
He has claimed that, while taking readings in the compressor room of the Kepak plant on September 23rd, 2015, he was allegedly overcome by toxic ammonia fumes. 
It is claimed there was an alleged failure to provide a safe place of work for him and there was also an alleged failure to provide him with adequate training or instruction. 
The action continues before Mr Justice Paul Coffey who was told the issue of loss of earnings is contentious in the case. 
Share this post:
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings